Saturday, November 15, 2008

God protecting His child!

My dad is not an avid reader. If he were a child today, he would very likely be diagnosed with some sort of learning disability. He CAN read but it does not come easily to him and he has to really concentrate and take his time. Several months ago he called me and said he was reading a book that came highly recommended to him from his brother, my uncle Paul. I asked what the book was and he said it was Joel Osteen's book. I told him to really listen to what he is saying in the book and if he chose to read the book, do so with his eyes open. A day or two later, he called back and told me he stopped reading the book because Joel "didn't say anything, he just goes in circles and doesn't make sense". It was then that I shared with him some of the Biblical inconsistencies with the Olsteen's ministry.

Well tonight my dad and that same brother went to the mall and each came home with a book. Dad told me again he is gonna try to read a book and pulled out The Secret. Again, I was concerned that my dad would be reading something so unbiblical but I took the book and began to look through it....

me-Dad, you can't read this book.

dad-Why not?

me-It's in spanish.

dad-What? I looked through it at the store and didn't notice that, the check out girl didn't say anything, and the one Paul bought was not in spanish and we got the same book.

me-Maybe it wasn't in spanish then but it is now. God said you aint readin this book! It will tell you that you are in control and now I'll show you I am.

Then I pulled up some info online for dad about the book including" The Secret tells readers and viewers how this is possible: ‘You are God in a physical body ... You are all power ... You are all intelligence ... You are the creator’ (p. 164). Incidentally, the author of The Secret, Rhonda Byrne, thanks a group of spirit guides called Abraham for ‘their inspirational teachings’ (p. xv). "

Dad decided maybe he should stop trying to read books. I let him know that he should just stop going to Paul for books, I have shelves full of books he can read and I loaned him When God Whispers Your Name by Max Lucado.

clarification:I just found out Paul did not buy his book tonight. He has already been reading it and so recommended it to dad.

No comments:

 
Site Meter