Thursday, May 6, 2010

89er days

April 22, 1889 was the date of the first land run in Oklahoma. Every year we celebrate 89er days with parades, carnivals, rodeos, and tons of other activities. My mother and my youngest brother John also share a birthday on that same date. Not many people get to say that their city throws a parade every year for your birthday. hehe:) We have several other family members with birthdays around the same time and 89er days have always been a time of family fun for us. This year John turned 18 years old. I can't believe my little brother is 18!!! To start the festivities, his other brother and brother in laws had to chase him down....

tackle him...

and give him his 18 birthday spankings! No birthday would be complete without that!!

It did rain during the parade (which is not uncommon) but it was such a nice, light rain that it did not ruin it. I always remember this HUGE American flag being carried in the parade when I was younger.

It was always one of my favorites parts and I was so glad to see the boy scouts bring it back out this year.
Luckily the rain did not stick around all day and the kids got to enjoy the carnival.

I still can not believe that ALL of my kids are big enough to ride everything. The girls are not yet ready to try the flipping rides like the zipper but Kenyon was able to get his cousin Alyssa to ride with him for her first(and maybe last) time. One of the girls favorites is
the zero gravity. They will ride it over and over and every time they do I am so thankful that the Law of gravity is a constant!!! Can you find them on there???

You can't tell by the look on Nathaniel's face in this photo, but everyone really had a great time. We always have so much fun on 89ers but I am glad it only comes once a year. It was a busy, fun filled day and NOBODY had a problem falling asleep that night. (by the way-this ride had not started when the picture was taken and Nathaniel decided to get off before it did! )

No comments:

 
Site Meter