Monday, May 3, 2010

You know what this means.....


Here is another hint....

You got it yet???
YEP! You guessed it....
HOMESCHOOL CONVENTION TIME!!!
Last weekend was the 3rd homeschool convention that I have gotten to go to. The last two years I went with my mom and we tried to sit in on as many workshops as possible. They were always good and we both always learned a lot. This year my mom was not able to go. I did not want to go by myself so I thought I may not go at all. That was until I found out.....
AMY GOT TO COME DOWN!!!!
I was so excited to see her. Her husband, Tanner, had to work on Friday so they did not get to OKC until late Friday. Since the convention is on Friday and Saturday, we decided to just get a shopping pass for Saturday and skip the workshops. Amy had never gotten to go to a convention so it was really helpful for her to get to see everything available and talk with the vendors about how it all works. We spent the entire day walking and talking and BUYING! It was a lot of fun and we both got everything we will need for the next year. We also ran into a few ladies that are very important to me and Amy got to meet them. I have talked about them so often to Amy and they have heard lots about her so I think they all kinda felt like they already knew each other. It was great to get to catch up a little.
In the past I have gotten to look at all the curriculum and decide what I wanted and then order it later. This year I pretty much knew what things I was looking for and I actually got to buy at the convention. Here is what I got. I have decided that I will do My Father's world-Rome to the Reformation with all 3 kids since the girls are reading pretty well know. This will really help since I won't have to teach 3 different levels everyday. They will each just do the assignments within their own level. I also got Truth in Science for Kenyon. My Father's World uses Apologia but I wanted to supplement more for Kenyon so we will do both. I got to hear a talk by Dr. Sharp last year and really fell in love with this science. I am so excited to start it. Keslee will continue to work on her Eagle's wings science that she has not finished yet and I may order another workbook for Kalysa. All three kids are going to use Math U see this next year. I am waiting on Writing Strands. They were sold out at the convention but I was able to order it and it will be mailed with no shipping costs. Kenyon is still working his way through Intermediate Language lessons and the girls will start on Primary Language lessons. Kenyon will also be finishing his Personal Help for Boys. I also go a few extras like a unit study guide for Little House in the Big Woods. We may try to go through it this summer. I got some more penmenship books-Keslee is gonna start cursive- and several paperback classic books for reading.
It feels so good to have everything ready for the next school year and I am so excited about the upcoming year. Of course the kids can't help get excited when a new load of books arrive and the girls are already asking if we can start "new school" instead of finishing what we have. Kenyon is excited because we will be building a castle and learning to play chess. Monty and he play some but he has already been reading the new chess book to learn all the tricks. I think he is excited about some of the other books as well but he just doesn't want me to ever know about it. Now I will be spending the next few days going through the different teacher manuals to prepare myself for the next year.

No comments:

 
Site Meter