Thursday, March 5, 2009

We have Ants in the Kitchen but I really don't mind

A few weeks ago Kalysa was on letter "I" in school. The picture she had was insects and the phrase she memorized was "I am a Wise Child so I Work Hard." Well her mama had not looked and planned ahead! We have an ant hill but I never ordered the ants. Well so they were late and we did not actually have the ants at the same time that we were talking about insects but we have them now.
Kalysa got 2 little test tubes with 25 ants in each one in the mail Monday. We had to put them in the refrigerator for 10 minutes to make them sleepy so that we could open the tubes and dump the sleeping ants into their new home. I was very pleased that we got all 50 ants safely into the ant hill and not all over my kitchen.

Well it has been 4 days and they have started building their city. I am wondering it I should add more sand?! It was to the top when we started but they have really moved it around and even taken quite a bit of it out and over to the front of the hill. I don't want to bury them by adding more. I guess we will just keep watching and see how all their hard work ends up. I have learned my lesson and plan to have the caterpillars ordered for the butterfly garden in time for that lesson.

No comments:

 
Site Meter