Friday, October 10, 2008

WERE YOU RAISED IN A CHRISTIAN HOME?

This past weekend, at the lady's retreat, we were asked that question. Everyone who was raised in a Christian home was asked to stand up. I was not immediately sure whether to stand or stay seated. I finally chose to stand. Since then I have been thinking about why I faltered. I know that I was not raised in the type of Christian home that I see in our church family or the type that I am trying to raise my children in but I would still say that I was raised in a Christian home. It was probably more like the Christian homes a lot of people are raised in. A more lukewarm Christian home.
When remembering back, I always knew God was there. I never remember a time that I did not know that Jesus died on the cross to save me. Before I was born, my dad thought he was gonna be a preacher. We went to church at a Nazarene church. I remember seeing both of my parents baptised. I was active in CYC with my uncle some when we were at my grandma's house in the summer. I have pictures of me from about 3 years old on in church Christmas programs. My first grade teacher was also my Sunday school teacher. When we were in Guthrie, we went to church with Grandma Brock. When we were in Missouri, we went to church with Grandad and Grandmother. I spent one summer making all the bulletin boards for my Grandmothers classroom at the Christian school she taught at. I was in charge of puppet shows in our youth department when I was a little older. I said my prayers at bedtime. I was taught to have faith in God. I knew God was in control. By the time I got into jr. high, our family had stopped going to church. A few years later I started going to First Baptist Church with a friend from school. I officially got saved when I was in 8th grade and continued to attend that church all through high school. When I went to college I did exactly what I had seen my parents do, I set God aside to do my own thing. How true it is-Raise up a child in the way he should go and he will not depart from it! Just because I didn't walk with God like I should did not change what I knew. I knew Jesus died for me. I knew God was in control. I knew God was with me. More often than not I still said my prayers at bedtime the entire time. I KNEW THE TRUTH!!! I could not have KNOWN if not for being raised in a Christian home.
So how is my children's home different? I don't want them to have that gap. I don't want them to go off on their own and set God aside, and if they do, I don't want it to be because of my example. We go to church-and we are not gonna stop! We say bedtime prayers-and breakfast,lunch and dinner prayers-and help me make it through the day prayers-and thanks for making the game cube work prayers-and help us finish school prayers-and prayers for people we see on tv-etc. etc.etc. My kids see God in everything from the moon to the lightening to getting to see their cousins to mom buying something they like at the grocery store-EVERYTHING! When something good happens, God is their first thought. When something bad happens, God is their first thought. When they don't know the answer, God is their first thought(that one can get kinda funny because they will answer "God" to any question you ask if they have no idea). We learn about God everyday in school. We talk about God everyday in life. Their friends either go to our church or live in our neighborhood and have been asked to go to our church. They memorize Bible verses in church. They memorize Bible verses in school. They see mom and dad read the Bible. The songs they know and sing are about God(about 90%-they like classical music and of course some songs off their kid movies). They are included in the decision to do or watch something based on if they think it glorifies God, and they know if it does or not. They are being raise in a Christian home. A stronger Christian home than either of their parents were raised in. Raise up a child in the way he should go and he will not depart from it! With prayers and faith and continued trust in God-I can't wait to see the homes they will raise my grand kids in someday.

No comments:

 
Site Meter